2014 Annual Conference
Jun 12, 2014 12:30 PM
Jun 14, 2014 11:00 PM
|Where||Campbell's Resort on Lake Chelan|
Attendance at WACDL seminars is limited to WACDL members and those eligible for WACDL membership. Lawyers, law students, and non-lawyers are eligible for WACDL membership if they are not now engaged full or part-time in the prosecution or law enforcement investigation of criminal cases, and if they are not engaged in a full-time judicial function.
|Add event to calendar||
Register for the Conference
Continuing Legal Education
See the CLE schedule here.
Pre-Conference: Paperless Practice
Thursday, June 12 in the afternoon
- Alison Guernsey and Jay McEntire use iPads to manage electronic discovery, organize case files, and present evidence at both hearings and trials. They will show you not only why converting to a paper-free practice is easy, efficient, sexy, and cost-effective, but also how to make it happen.
- Registration begins at 1:00 pm, and the program runs from 1:30 to 4:45. We expect 3 hours of general CLE credit for this program.
Everything But Trial
Friday, June 13 & Saturday, June 14
- We may live for trial, but most of us spend the majority of our time doing Everything But Trial. Learn how to win your cases through the hard work that goes into the preparation beforehand, and how to get the best results for your clients once the case is settled.
- Our outstanding faculty includes featured speaker Michael Levine, along with Washington lawyers David Allen, Robert Butler, Kim Gordon, Elizabeth Kelley, and Robert Perez — along with Dan White from Washington’s DOC.
- Registration begins at 8:30 am, and the program runs from 9:00 am to 1:00 pm each day. We expect 6.5 hours of general credit and 1 hour of ethics credit (for a total of 7.5 hours) for this program.
Thursday, June 12
|1:00 - 4:45 pm||Paperless Practice*
|8:00 - 10:30 pm||Reception|
Friday, June 13
|8:30 - 1:00 pm||Everything but Trial
|1:15 - 1:45 pm||Annual Membership Meeting|
|1:45 - 3:45 pm
||Board of Governors Meeting|
|4:00 - 5:00 pm||Yoga*|
|5:30 - 8:00 pm||Dinner & Awards Program
(childcare available during the program)
|8:30 - 10:30 pm||Bowling|
Saturday, June 14
|8:30 - 1:00 pm
||Everything but Trial
|2:30 - 4:30 pm||
Social Event for Adults & Kids
|4:00 - 8:00 pm||Winery Tour with Dinner*|
* optional event; additional fee
Location & Lodging
Campbell’s Resort on Lake Chelan provides upscale accommodations, two restaurants, a day spa and an array of onsite amenities. Each lodging room comes with Campbell’s Resort’s signature feature: rooms are right on the water, with stunning views of Lake Chelan from a private balcony or deck. The resort has a sandy beach, two swimming pools, two hot tubs, and boat moorage. Their fitness center is equipped with treadmills, a recumbent bike, weight machines, and free weights. You can get a massage, manicure, pedicure, and more from the massage therapists and estheticians at the River Room Spa.
Campbell’s is holding a block of rooms for us at special rates starting at $140. Please make your lodging reservations directly with Campbell’s by calling them at 1-800-553-8225 (or 509-682-2561); let them know that you are attending the WACDL conference. Note that Campbell’s may release our rooms after May 11; they do expect to be sold out for our weekend, so make your reservations early.
Due to the generosity of members, WACDL is able to offer up to ten scholarships, each worth $150, to WACDL members who are either full-time public defenders or who were admitted to the Bar in the past five years; preference will be given to those attending the WACDL conference for the first time. To apply, send an email — by May 2 — to email@example.com with your name, the date you were admitted to the Bar, and the name of your law firm/public defender office. If we receive more applications than the scholarship funds will cover, WACDL will select recipients with the goal of spreading recipients out among public defender offices, law firms, and parts of the state — and between public defenders and newer lawyers. Note: scholarships cannot be combined with the first-time attendee discount.
Advertising opportunities will be available at this year's annual conference. For more information about the options below, please send an email to Fred Rice.
Break sponsorship ($150)
There are four breaks during the conference that we are making available for sponsorship. We will place a foam core poster that reads “Break sponsored by” followed by your company name and logo, adjacent to the break table. We will also include a sponsor slide in our PowerPoint announcements that will screen in the seminar room during the break.
Conference folder flyer ($150)
We will include a black and white single-sided flyer (designed by you) on color paper in the folders distributed to all of the conference participants. We would be happy to include more elaborate copies (e.g. in color or double-sided) if you provide them to us.
A break sponsorship + conference folder flyer ($250)
We will offer a $50 discount if you are interested in buying a flyer as well as a break sponsorship.
Finally, with any of the above options, we will add a set of conference attendee mailing labels for $20. We anticipate that there will be 90 to 120 criminal defense lawyers and associates in attendance this year. Due to space restrictions, we cannot offer any exhibitor tables or booths.